When I sat in one of the big green chairs we got from my in-laws' downsizing and it tore (last fall? last spring?), I was determined to fix it. I brought it home and had it in my sewing room for a long time. Then I got some green "horse blanket" fabric and fashioned a new seat. Then my dilemma was how to sew it ON to the aluminum tubing. Louie suggested a sewing tool he had purchased. I brought the frame and the "new" seat to the cabin.
This trip, I finally asked him for the sewing tool. It is awl-based and called "Speedy Stitcher." I opened the little box and read the directions. I was confused. A few days later, I watched a video (there are several, though when I typed in www.speedystitcher.com, it came up with an error message. Just now, I got straight to their website!). The videos (and there are many online) are much more helpful than their print documentation.
Then I decided to use the black thick waxy thread Louie had bought for another project instead of the pre-loaded tan thread. Unspooling (and re-wrapping it on an empty spool) the tan, then carefully winding the black thread onto the spool, threading the tool, and trying to sew took me longer than I'd like to think about. But the black thread wouldn't pull through! It was like a brick, so I unspooled it and went back to winding the tan thread.
Finally I was ready to sew! It was harder than regular sewing and it took me a while to get the hang of it. I'm not proud of how it looks, but the chair is usable now! And I've learned how to use a new tool. The one thing I didn't really hear mentioned was leaving a long enough piece of thread for the length of your project (so you have enough for a knot at the end).
You can see that the stitching on one side is neater than where I started! Actually, both sides look "iffy." But again, it was harder than regular sewing and it's done! The green of the seat is darker than the seat back, but I don't really care about that. I would use this tool again for a hard to reach bit of sewing.


No comments:
Post a Comment