Monday, May 20, 2024

Studio Post #20 - What's in a Name?

The main sewing thing I did last week was pack up all my 2024 Challenge bits and pieces to bring to the lake to work on here. It's a new week and I haven't taken the pieces out yet.


The other thing I did was brainstorm names for my queen sized quilt in process. It started out as the MQ 2017 Challenge "Go with the FLW." I've already blogged about it when I took the parts of it to the in-town retreat in January and almost finished the top. Now the top is finished AND I've long-armed it. I had fully intended to trim off the excess batting and backing, make the binding, and sew it onto the top so I could bring it with me to the lake to finish. Alas, I got too darn busy at the end of April and start of May, so it sits at home.


I have, however, come up with some name possibilities for it:

  • By Committee (because I kept asking others for their opinions)
  • Go Against the FLW (instead of Go with the FLW)
  • Directions? What Directions?
  • Make Up My Mind!
  • I'm No Architect (FLW = Frank Lloyd Wright)
  • Neither Structure Nor Style ("Neither Nor" for short)
  • It May Be Wild, But It's Mine

 

Some people think naming quilts is pretentious. I don't care. I think it's fun. And it's easier to refer to specific quilts that way. (I don't make enough quilts to get really confused, but I still like naming them.) I didn't bring my quilt "journal" with me to the lake, but I'm curious to check and see if I've recorded all the quilts I've made and what I named them.

No comments: