Thursday, May 30, 2019

Jury Duty

I have a de-cluttering rule for myself: when I want to file a piece of paper for some reason, I remove a different piece of paper from my filing cabinet. I probably could go through each item in my filing cabinet and get rid of lots of stuff, but I don't really want to take the time to do that.

So today I filed the bulletin from church on the Sunday my grandson was baptized. I'm kind of old-school that way. Since I was starting a new file folder along with the one sheet of paper, I scanned the tabs to see what could go. "Jury duty." Really? That was *ages* ago!

I looked at the pages and did a shred/recycle. I was called for jury duty in November of 2003. I got it rescheduled for summer so I wouldn't have to miss any school days. (I'm such a conscientious nerd.) For a week, I had to be a phone call away. I was never called for any actual jury duty. I had a post-it note that said I wouldn't be called again until 2006.

I actually did serve on a jury in Hennepin County in 1984. When I got the letter, I explained that I was a senior in high school and couldn't go until the school year was over. The person on the phone was really crabby and asked when I'd be done with school. She told me to report to the Hennepin County Government Center in downtown Minneapolis the Monday after I graduated.

That's a whole different story! It was an interesting experience and I did get on a case. But right now, I'm just decluttering.

Here are part of the instructions for my 2003 "call" to duty:





No comments: