Thursday, March 9, 2023

Declutter #11 - a raft and paperwork!

This entry is easy! My husband mentioned that we could probably get rid of "that raft." I had said that I was going to fill the bird feeders with seed. Typically, I have to make my way through all the stuff in the garage, move things off the can (including an old inflatable raft), and then open the lid of the garbage can to get at the seed. (The garbage can is to keep mice out of the bird seed!)

 

I don't remember when we got the raft or from whom, but he had intended to blow it up, locate the leaks, and patch it. It has been in our garage for a long, long, long time. I was so excited! I put it in the garbage can right away this morning. Then I saw him put it back on the porch as he was leaving for work. What?!

 

It turns out he had wanted to remove the ropes from it to repurpose them. (It's a pretty big raft.) Fine! I brought it in the house and used screwdrivers to loosen the knots and remove the ropes. The raft went right back into the garbage bin and now it's gone!

 

That was huge . . . and not even on my radar.

 

After doing our taxes, I typically file papers and shred the oldest tax return documents. I actually keep eight years' worth instead of seven. It's a "just in case" thing and not hard to do. One of my jobs is very paperwork heavy and I save a full year's worth of the time sheets just to be on the safe side. The paper from 2021 (at that job) probably measured an inch and a half thick! 

 


In addition to our paperwork, I took out the 2014 tax return for my parents. My mom died in 2014 and I hired a CPA to do their taxes. There were lots of papers  and that all went into the shred pile. Again, I don't anticipate needing the legal or tax paperwork for my parents' estate, but it gives me peace of mind to have it "just in case." I've heard too many crazy stories about audits and government idiocy. It's easy enough to have those papers on hand!

 

It is a bit sobering, though, to notice that the bin with my parents' paperwork used to be stuffed full and now it's only about half full. I only have a few years of stuff left. Our dad died in 2016 and I wrapped up all the legal stuff in 2018.


 

No comments: