Sunday, March 10, 2024

2024 Studio Post #10 - Crib Sheet!

This shouldn't make me so incredibly happy, but it does. 

 

Our oldest grandchild Joshua is five. The guest bed is a tall queen sized bed and he prefers to be closer to the floor. Thirty-five or so years ago, my father made a toddler bed for our first born, Morgan (Joshua's daddy). We got it out of storage last year and I bought a crib sized mattress off Craigslist. The lady gave me the sheets that went with it, but they are clearly baby-themed (duckies and bunnies). Joshua didn't seem to mind, but it bothered me.


I dug through my bin of "juvenile novelty" fabric and found two pieces that were both fun to look at and large enough to become fitted sheets. (The construction vehicles here and a piece of aqua scientist fabric.) Then I started looking online for directions. It shouldn't be too hard, right?


But different directions had different starting dimensions. And one had elastic only at the four corners and two others had it going all the way around the entire sheet. A friend texted me images of directions from a pattern she had. Louie asked why I didn't just go and buy a pattern. It's just a fitted sheet!


So I was finally brave enough today to measure, cut, and stitch. I decided to put elastic along the two short ends. It fits! I don't have time before the boys are dropped off to sew the second one, but the toddler bed has a little kid's sheet on it now!

 

Also, how cool is it that I have a bed frame that my dad made for his first grandchild and now my first grandchild sleeps on that bed when he stays overnight? I'm so happy!

No comments: