Thursday, July 9, 2020

My Salvation Story!

I don't know why I've been putting this off . . . because it is extremely important for me. I guess I've been worried that my words / experience won't be compelling enough. God is good! His grace and mercy cover my weakness. He is more than enough!

Before I experienced a personal relationship with Jesus, I  was lost in selfishness, self-pity, and self-indulgence. I was trying to BE someone worthwhile on my own strength and not succeeding. I never felt good about myself or content with my life.

In high school, a lot of my friends talked about life as a question of biology and chemistry - you live, you die, you rot. I remember thinking, "That can't be all there is. There has to be more. Why do we dream, imagine, seek? There has to be more."

Coming to know Jesus as my savior has satisfied that desire for more. I experienced good preaching, praise and worship, Christ-centered fellowship, and the presence of God.

I finally let go of my own control and unforgiveness and accepted the gift of salvation.

It was not a single sudden moment as much as a process of questioning, seeking, and learning. I did go to a retreat where I realized that even though I don't and can't deserve God's love and forgiveness, God Loves Me! The God who created the universe loves me. Amazing!

With Jesus, I'm now saved and filled. I still struggle with life's challenges, but I am confident that God is with me always.

When I think about life after death, I am so glad to anticipate living for eternity instead of just for this short time on earth.

The more time I spend with the Lord in prayer and reading the Bible, the more my calm and peace grow. Even though I don't always show the fruits of the Spirit in my life (love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control), I know that God is still working on me and I am glad that He is!

I welcome comments, questions, or observations. I am striving to obey God's direction for my life. I want to share the Good News of Jesus Christ. You can have life and have it abundantly!

No comments: