Tuesday, May 16, 2023

Google Maps / Android Auto / Samsung phone

Ugh! I rely on Google maps much too heavily. It has become too easy to plug my phone in when I get in the car and have my route on the screen.

 

But after a recent phone software update, my Google maps showed me off track by a few blocks. It was so irritating! (It kept trying to get me to turn around to get on the road I was already on.)

 

I restarted my phone.  Maps still off.

I uninstalled and reinstalled Android Auto on my phone. Still off.

I "calibrated" my phone's GPS by going through the steps (waving it around, etc.). Still off.


At a family gathering, I asked one of my sons for advice. My husband told me to "Google it." I HAD Googled it! I had done all the steps I saw suggested!


I Googled it again and found one more suggestion I hadn't seen earlier. I went into the app settings on my phone and cleared the cache and ??? something else (Data?).


Settings / Apps / Maps (Under "M" instead of "G"oogle) / Usage / Storage / Clear Cache, Clear Data. 

 

I should have written about this immediately! It took me a while to re-find the route to do what I had to do to make the maps behave again.


It wouldn't surprise me if this happens again. The phone told me I needed to update, so I did. Then my Google Maps went to heck. It was frustrating, but now I've given myself a cheat sheet.

No comments: