Monday, August 7, 2023

Declutter #26 - Other People's Stuff

I confess I haven't been doing a stellar job of sorting through and getting rid of my own junk. I'm not sure why life has felt so busy this summer, but at least I'm having fun! My lovely spouse does NOT like me blogging about him, but this story requires his part to be told. 

 

In helping out my older brother sometime in the past two years, I brought home parts of a broken-down upholstered recliner chair with the intention of throwing it away in our garbage can. My brother's garbage was full to overflowing and ours is typically only half full. When I got home, though, my husband helped unload it from the car and put it in our garage. Why?!?!? He had some idea about potentially using parts of it for some other projects. I was not happy.


Our garage is fairly cluttered, but it's his "turf," not mine. My only caveat is that I get to park indoors. I'm pretty adamant about that. (Our garage is just over two car size, but we haven't parked two cars in there for a long, long time.) I have occasionally commented on the chair carcass and how my only intention was to help my brother by getting rid of it.


Well this past week, my husband said I could take it apart and get rid of it! I spent a chunk of time in the garage yesterday dismantling it. He helped - not sure if it was because he saw me struggling or if it just seemed like fun - and we now have most of it in our garbage can. Some of the "good" (i.e. not plywood) wood he is setting aside for kindling. Some of the pieces of upholstery will have to wait until next week. (We have the smaller size garbage can.) 


It feels like a victory. I didn't take photos, but I am almost excited to go out into the garage and NOT see that chair piled up on other stuff!



No comments: