Tuesday, January 31, 2023

2023 - Declutter #5 - Small Steps Forward Are Still Heading in the Right Direction

I was on a roll for a while, but the past few weeks have seen more things enter my life than leave. Rather than get frustrated, I'll share about a small declutter. 

 

Last fall, I got seven boxes of items that had belonged to my father-in-law and mother-in-law. My sister-in-law had intended to go through them, but hadn't found the time and was getting ready to move. It takes a fair amount of time and energy to go through things like that and it's never a high priority. So I'm trying to take a little at a time. Last week, I took out a small bag and put a few little things in a Goodwill bag. I laundered and put a "Lone Ranger" bandanna on Louie's dresser. (I wanted to try selling it online. I'm pretty sure it's from the 60s or 70s, but my husband wanted to keep it.) 

 

And there was a bag with some pins. 

The ones on the right I threw in the garbage. I'm not sure what they were for, but they didn't look worth keeping or donating.

The ones in the lower left I added to a donation bag. The "Winnipeg" pin is probably from their honeymoon in 1957. (That's what Louie thinks.)

The "Lillie" pin (pictured below) probably belonged to Betty's mom, Lillie Mohr. It is so beautiful! I thought about giving it to a family member and Louie suggested his cousin Lisa's daughter Lily. Perfect! I'm going to wrap it carefully and get it in the mail to Alaska.


 
In addition to these pins, I took photos of Lou from his old yearbooks. I visited him (and took a 12 minute video of him talking about high school) and asked if he wanted the books. He doesn't and so I'm going to contact Grand Island High School in Nebraska to see if they want yearbooks from 1946, 1947, and 1948.
 

It's not much, but it's something!

No comments: