Monday, January 22, 2024

2024 Studio Post #3 - MQ Intown Retreat

Now, technically, this doesn't really count since I wasn't in my studio! However, I spent a lot of time sewing last week!


I had been participating in the 2017 Mystery Challenge. I wanted so much to keep up and get it done, but life got in the way. Then as I was trying to play catch up, I got to directions I struggled to follow AND I saw other peoples' finished quilts. 

Mike Ellingson was the designer and he's amazing. It was called "Go with the FLW." Initially, I thought it was "flow" without the "O," but I learned it was FLW for Frank Lloyd Wright.


In any case, I had made all the blocks using his directions through month 7. Then I had started month 8 and . . . paused. Here's what the finished quilts looked like.

 

I just wasn't in love with it. And my fabric choices were odd, since I did a mix of scrappy and brights. (The directions gave some color / hue info, but our choices were ours!) 

After it sat for about six years, I opened the bin to see that yes, I had done a lot of work, I still didn't understand the month 9 directions, and I didn't want to make Mike's design.

There were things I loved and things I didn't love. I decided it was my quilt and I had already done a lot of work on it, so I brought it to the three-day in-town retreat and played with what I could make. Here are a few shots, but I didn't get it completely done. It took a surprising amount of time to go from lots of partial pieces (strips of flying geese, some courthouse steps, half-square triangles, etc.) to an almost finished top.

 





I've got more done, but I'll wait until I finish the top to post more. The retreat was 9am - 8pm on both Thursday and Friday and 9am - 5pm on Saturday. I stayed overnight at my girlfriend Jenifer's house so I wasn't driving as far. 


I'd write more, but I'm tired and I have a lot going on tomorrow. It feels really good to have gotten a lot of sewing done. I'm super excited to finish this top and schedule time to quilt it.


I've fallen behind on the declutter challenge, but I don't like to be stressed out, so I'll just try to get a little done each day.



No comments: